Department of Psychiatry
  • Wstęp EN
  • Ogród EN




Memorial plaque devoted to the memory of Prof. Alois Alzheimer placed on the front elevation of the old residence of the director of the Clinic of Psychiatry and Nervous Diseases at 44 Odon Bujwid Street (Auenstrasse 44).


Academic Psychiatry in the years 1836 - 1945

October 19,1836 may be considered an unofficial date of emergence of academic psychiatry in Wrocław. On this day, pursuant to a ministerial ordinance, Medical Faculty was ordered to arrange intership in Lubiąż for students showing interest in psychiatry. The first directorof Psychiatry Clinic, founded in 1876 and located in All Saints Hospital (until 2007 J. Babiński Voivodeship Hospital at 8 John Paul II Square) was Prof. Heinrich Neumann (1814–1884). In 1885, after the position of a Director of the Clinic had been taken up by Prof. Carl Wernicke (1848–1905), the construction of Municipal Hospital for Mentally Ill Persons was launched. Three years later the Clinic was moved to a new location. Prof. Adrian Demianowski (1887–1960), Doctor’s diploma in medicine obtained at John Casimir University in Lvov. In 1907, under the rule of Prof. Karl Bonhoeffer (1868–1948), a new independent Psychiatry and Nervous Diseases Clinic was opened (Auenstraße 44). From 1912 to 1915 the Clinic was managed by Prof. Alois Alzheimer (1864–1915), and after his death, until the nomination of his successor, Prof. Georg Stertz took the chair. In the subsequent years the position of the Director of the Clinic was taken up by the following professors: Oswald Bumke (1916–1921), Robert Wollenberg (1921–1930), Johannes Lange (1930-1938) and from1938 to 1945 Werner Willinger managed the institution.




 
  Psychiatry and Nervous Diseases Clinic, Auenstrasse 44
   (at present: 44 Odon Bujwid Street).
   A photograph dating back to the 1930s.
   At present: Department of Haematology,
   Blood Neoplasms and Bone Marrow Transplantation






Academic Psychiatry in Wrocław after 1945

The Psychiatry Clinic, initially a part of the Faculty of Medicine, at Wrocław University and Wrocław University of Technology, was opened on 21 May, 1946 in the building of the Municipal Psychiatric Hospital. In the academic year 1949/1950 Medical University was founded. Its first Head was Prof. Adrian Demianowski (1887–1960), previously a professor at John Casimir University in Lvov. Under the supervision of Prof. Demianowski, eminent Polish psychiatrists were qualified as assistant professors, to name just a few: Tadeusz Bilikiewicz, Kazimierz Dąbrowski and Lucjan Korzeniowski. From 1954 to 1957, for political reasons, Prof. A. Demianowski was removed from his work at the school, only to be replaced by Dr. Stanisław Świerczek (1901–1988). Prof. Demianowski came back in 1957 and managed the Clinic until his death in 1960. The successive Heads of the Department and Clinic were as follows: Associate Professor Maria Demianowska (1960–1964), Prof. Adam Bukowczyk (1964–1976), Prof. Augustyn Wasik (1976–1991). Since 1991 the Department and Clinic have been managed by Prof. Andrzej Kiejna.




  Municipal Hospital for Mentally Ill Persons,
  Einbaumstrasse 25
  (at present: 18 J. Conrad-Korzeniowski Street)




                                                      

                                                                                                   Prof. Adrian Demianowski                             
                                                              
















   Design drawing:
   facade of the private clinic,
   Hobrecht Ufer 10
   (presently 10 Pasteur Street),
   August 31, 1909

The unofficial date of the establishment of academic psychiatry in Wroclaw can be taken on October 19, 1836, when a ministerial order was recommended to the Medical Faculty to organize practical classes for students interested in psychiatry in Lubiąż. The first director of the Psychiatry Clinic, founded in 1876 and located in the All Saints Hospital (currently J. Babiński Provincial Hospital at 1 Maja Square), was prof. Heinrich Neumann (1814-1884). In 1885, after taking the position of director of the Clinic by prof. Carla Wernicke (1848-1905), the construction of the Municipal Hospital for the Mentally Ill began, to which the Clinic was moved three years later. In 1907, during the time of prof. Karla Bonhoeffer (1868-1948), a new independent Clinic of Psychiatry and Nervous Diseases was opened. From 1912 to 1915, the clinic was headed by prof. Alois Alzheimer (1864-1915), and after his death, until the nomination of his successor, prof. Georg Stertz. In the following years, the directors of the Clinic were professors: Oswald Bumke (1916-1921), Robert Wollenberg (1921-1930), Johannes Lange (1930-1938) and from 1938 to 1945 Werner Villinger.

Academic psychiatry in Wrocław after 1945

The Psychiatry Clinic, as a part of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Wrocław and the Polytechnic, was opened on May 21, 1946 in the building of the Municipal Psychiatric Hospital. The first head of the clinic was prof. Adrian Demianowski (1887-1960), previously a professor at the Jan Kazimierz University in Lviv. Outstanding Polish psychiatrists: Tadeusz Bilikiewicz, Kazimierz Dąbrowski and Lucjan Korzeniowski habilitated under his supervision in Wrocław. In the 1949/1950 academic year, the Medical Academy was established, which also included the Chair and Clinic of Psychiatry. In the years 1954-1957, for political reasons, prof. A. Demianowski was removed from work at the university and was replaced by Stanisław Świerczek MD, PhD (1901-1988). Professor Demianowski returned in 1957 and managed the Clinic until his death in 1960. In the following years the heads of the Department and the Clinic were: Doc. Maria Demianowska (1960-1964), prof. Adam Bukowczyk (1964-1976), prof. Augustyn Wasik (1976-1991), prof. Andrzej Kiejna (1991-2016). From 2016 the head of the Clinic is prof. Joanna Rymaszewska.

Pre-war history of the seat of the Department and Clinic of Psychiatry

The building was constructed in the years 1909–1910 according to a design developed Uniby Simon & Halfpaap, an architectural company well-known in Wrocław. It was owned by a merchant, Salomon Wittenberg, who leased the entire facility to Johanna Mirus, the owner of a private clinic. Initially, the impressive late Art Nouveau building was intended to house the Surgery Clinic.The private facility was administered by Professor Hermann Küttner (1870–1932), Head of the Department and Director of the Clinic of Surgery at Wrocław University in the years 1907–1932. Probably, his friend Prof. Otfrid Foerster, carried out his first neurosurgical operations there.

Post-war history of the building

The building survived the war in good condition, and probably therefore in 1945-1946 it served as a hotel for scientific staff who came to Wrocław. It was known as the "Hotel Mirus". In 1946, the Tuberculosis Chair and Clinic was placed there, whose first head was prof. Zdzisław Skibinski. In 1990, the Department of Lung Diseases, as a new organizational unit, was moved to the Hospital K. Dłuskiego at Grabiszyńska street, and to the building at Wyb. L. Pasteura 10 were moved internal medicine clinics from Wyb. L. Pasteura 4. From 1993, the building was not used and underwent gradual devastation, despite periodic development plans.

Expansion and modernization of the seat of the Department and Clinic of Psychiatry

As a result of the flood in July 1997, the buildings of the Psychiatric Hospital at Kraszewskiego street and the park area were seriously damaged. The Department and Clinic of Psychiatry, located in the main building, suffered significant losses in equipment, and due to the renovation of the facility, the number of teaching and research space, as well as clinical beds was reduced. The effect of the Clinic Manager's efforts was the resolution of the Senate of the Medical University of January 26, 1998 on the purpose of the building at Wyb. L. Pasteura 10 for the seat of the Chair and Clinic of Psychiatry. For the preparation of documentation and the first stage of renovation, funds were allocated from the Ministry of Health and the European Fund to remove flood effects.

In 2001, the Scientific Research Committee awarded a financial grant for "Expansion and modernization of the building in the part concerning scientific and research activity". On May 10, 2002, the scientific part was officially opened. After 10 years of adaptation and renovation works, which were spread over several stages due to the need to raise investment funds, on June 2, 2009 the grand opening of the new headquarters of the Department and Psychiatry Clinic took place. In the building, restored in accordance with the guidelines of the Conservator of Monuments, three main sections were identified: administrative and scientific, didactic and clinical. In the first section, on the ground floor, there are scientific laboratories: social psychiatry and epidemiology, clinical psychopharmacology, forensic psychiatry, consultative psychiatry and behavioral medicine, clinical psychology and psychogeriatry. The second section contains teaching rooms for classes in small and large student groups - equipped with audiovisual equipment, including "Venetian mirrors" for observing a real clinical trial. The clinical section located on three floors includes: Mental Health Clinic - general and psychogeriatric, general psychiatric day ward and day ward for neurosis treatment for a total of 40 patients. From February 2019. in the building there is a 24-hour psychiatric and psychogeriatric ward with 28 beds.


Seat of the Department and Clinic of Psychiatry at 10 Pasteur Street



 

Passage between the entrance gate,               Therapeutic garden
main entrance
and the parking





Restored facade reffering to original design




Location of  the Department and Clinic of Psychiatry

History of academic psychiatry in Wroclaw

On April 19, 2011, the celebration of the 85th anniversary of the birth and the 60th anniversary of the medical work of prof. Augustyn Wasik took place, during which the book entitled "Wratislavia - pathways of psychiatry over the centuries". The authors of the book are: prof. Andrzej Kiejna, prof. Augustyn Wasik, Maja Kasprzak MA and Elżbieta Twardy MA. The book was published from funds for the statutory activities of the Chair and Clinic of Psychiatry at the Medical University of Wrocław (task ST-149: History of academic psychiatry in Wrocław).